Today we are going to talk about Golconda Fort. Golconda Fort is a fortified and early capital of the Qutb Shahi dynasty located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. Golconda Fort developed as a major diamond trading center due to its proximity to diamond mines and especially the Kollur mine and hence it is known as Golconda Diamond. The outer fort of Golconda Fort covers an area of 3 square kilometers and is 4.8 kilometers long. So let's gather a little more information about Golconda Fort.
Diamond Business In This Fort
This fort used a vault where the famous Koh-i-Noor and Hope diamonds were stored at the same time as other diamonds. Golconda Fort is very famous for diamonds and was cut in the city during the Kakatiya reign. And at that time India had the only known diamond mines in the world at this fort. Golconda Fort was a market town for the diamond trade and the gems sold there came from many mines.
Golconda Fort is associated with great wealth. Jewelers use solid type classification to indicate diamonds that are completely deficient in nitrogen. Many famous diamonds are believed to have been dug from the mines of this place. And which includes the following.
- Regent Diamond
- Hope Diamond
- Wittelsbach-Graff Diamond
- Princie Diamond
The name "Golconda" became synonymous with a legendary disease during the Renaissance and early modern era and became synonymous with vast wealth. The mines of Golconda Fort were amassed by the Qutb Shahis of Hyderabad State who ruled Golconda till 1687.
Golconda Fort was originally known as Mankal. And Golconda Fort was built on top of a hill in the year 1143. Golconda Fort was originally a mud fort under the rule of the king of Warangal. The fort has the remains of palaces, mosques and a hilltop porch that rises to a height of about 130 meters and gives birds a view of other buildings. There are huge battles surrounding Golconda Fort. Golconda Fort was rebuilt and strengthened by Queen Rudrama Devi and her successor Prataparudra.
Over a period of 62 years, Golconda Fort was expanded into the present constitution by the first three Qutb Shahi sultans; resulting in a huge fortification of granite extending about 5 km. Golconda Fort remained the capital of the Qutb dynasty until 1590, when the capital was shifted to Hyderabad. The Qutb Shahis expanded the Golconda Fort and its 7 km outer wall surrounded the city.
A strong cotton-weaving industry existed in this place in the early seventeenth century. Large quantities of cotton were produced at Golconda Fort for domestic and export consumption. And high quality plain or patterned fabrics made from muslin and calico were produced here. The textiles made at this place were exported to Persia and European countries. Golconda Fort was finally destroyed in 1687 after an eight-month siege by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.
Other Information of The Fort
The fort is listed as an archeological treasure on the official "list of monuments" prepared by the Archaeological Survey of India under Archaeological Sites and Remains Act and the Ancient Monuments. The site actually consists of four separate forts with a 10 km long outer wall and has 87 semicircular fortifications, eight entrances and four drawbridges. Golconda Fort has many royal apartments and halls, temples, mosques, inside magazines, stables, etc. Golconda Fort has the lowest exterior and is studded by huge iron spikes through the "Fateh Gate".
Characteristic of the engineering wonders in this place a sound effect can be felt in Fateh Darwaza. At the entrance to Golconda Fort, the clapping of hands is repeated at a certain point below the dome, and can be clearly heard at the Bala Hissar Pavilion, the highest point about a kilometer away.
The complex of this fort and the total area around it is spread over 11 km and it is difficult to find every nook and cranny of it. A visit to Golconda Fort reveals the architectural beauty of many pavilions, gates, entrances and domes. The amazing gardens of Golconda Fort can lose their fragrance and for which they were known 400 years ago.
Bala Hissar Gate is the main entrance to the Golconda Fort on the east side. Golconda Fort has a point arch bordered by rows of scroll work. The spandrels of Golconda Fort have yalis and decorative rounds. The upper part of the gate of Golconda Fort has a bloom with decorative tails and a structure with decorative arches. The granite block lintel below this fort is connected to the Yells by a disc including the Hindu origins of Golconda Fort.
The facade of Golconda Fort consists of five arches and in each spandrel with lotus medals and the central arch is slightly wider and more decorative. The inner mosque is divided into two halls. Golconda Fort is entered by a transverse outer hall and inner hall triple arches. There is a few feet wide wall in front of this fort and this prevented the elephants and soldiers from becoming a suitable ramp to run and break the gate.
Golconda Fort was presented to UNESCO as a World Heritage Site by the Permanent Representative of India in 2010. Golconda Fort is currently on India's "tentative list".
This fort is known for its magical acoustic system. Golconda Fort is believed to be a secret tunnel that leads from the "Durbar Hall" and ends at a palace at the foot of a hill. Golconda Fort also contains the tombs of the Qutb Shahi kings. The tombs have Islamic architecture and are located 1 km north of the outer wall of this Fort. Golconda Fort is surrounded by beautiful gardens and numerous exquisitely carved stones.
The huge gates of the Golconda Fort are equipped with large pointed iron spikes that prevent the elephants from damaging the fort. There is a guide map at the entrance of this fort and with the help of this guide map one can visit all the places of this fort. Golconda Fort boasts of still mounted cannons, four drawbridges, eight entrances, and majestic halls, magazines, stables, and more.